Beiträge von Muninn

Yeah, thx :). It's not a must though, its just that I think it's best of both worlds having both rocker and chamber.

I'm also looking into the Neverwinter Infinity and Arbor Cadence, but I'm keeping the NS EVO 153 in mind, basically it's the same as the Pandora but a little bit stiffer, heavier and wider... dunno. So many boards to pick from XD.

Hey, yeah sorry for the English, I'm Dutch and you really don't want me to write in German, trust me :)

Below are the two kinds of flex explained (copy pasted from a random web page but it describes it pretty good and complete :).. hope that helps)

(Longitudinal flex)–Which is the bend of the entire length of the board. This will give the characteristic of liveliness, also known as the snap. A board that is stiffer will be livelier or have more snap than a board that is softer. This snap will aid in the ability to Ollie or pop of off the tail or nose, and define the feel of the board in a off-balance landing or turn, in terms of the ability to recover. A softer board will be easier to turn, but harder to recover on, because the board will be less able to hold your weight over the tip or tail and lead to a fall. While a stiffer board is more difficult in turn initiation (especially for a beginner), but recovers better because it is more likely to hold your body weight over the tip or tail, and give you a better opportunity to push off of the weighted end of the board, moving back into a stable position.

(Torsional flex) --The torsional flex will define a boards ability to hold and edge through a carve. A board that is stiff torsionaly, whether it is soft or stiff longitudinally, will hold and edge well. Meaning that a torsionaly soft board has less edge grip or bite in a carved turn. The way to test this is to check the ability to twist a board, so that the tip and tail are rotating in opposite directions. This is its torsional flex.

Their description of torsional flex is a bit weird actually.
    I'd like to add to that, that torsional flex also influence the edge to edge transmission and can make more technical tricks easier (or hader with stiff flex)... soft torsional flex also gives a more forgiving but also more wobbly ride on high speed and a less stable landing.

Looked at those boards. They both look quite interesting... I never tried a smokin board (I didn't even know the brand) nor do I know anyone that ever tried one, that makes me a bit hesitant but at the same time curious :P. I do think the graphics are absolutely horrifying though :P. (the Smokin Buck Ferton board made me laugh out loud btw, I would almost buy that just for it's name)

Both the boards feature Magne-Traction and I'm not so sure if I like that, in the first week of February I'll be trying my first magne traction board in France (one of my friends bought one)... I can't have an opinion about it without having tried it I guess.

Well, I'm going to keep them in mind anyways :D thx.

Ok maybe there's an exception for natural half pipes with pow (which are awesome btw)... I'm not a half-pipe rider though, so I'm no expert, all I know is from my friends who are always very happy when the halfpipe is in nice clean and icy conditions.
    I wouldn't jump a 720 no where btw, I just managed my first 360ies and I'm already quite proud of that :P.

Haha great topic... honestly... I don't really pay attention to it. Not that I don't want to, I just forget. So I occasionally end up having a cold but because I'm wearing a string. You don't think about it until you sit on the snow.. then you will :P. Doesn't happen anymore now that I have crashpants though... always warm cheeks XD! Other than that, a longsleeve and a sweater if I ride indoors, and a longsleve and jacket on the mountain. if its really cold I might wear an extra top under that. I don't like those thermo underwear or shirts. Just cotton for me :).

Hmm.. you don't -have- to ride competitive to get sponsors, you have to get noticed by a company or store though.
    A lot of the sponsorships doesn't involve "getting money" either, there's just a handful of riders that actually get payed to ride.
    Most involve getting material and clothing for cheap (or free if your lucky) and getting on sponsored trips to the snow. Still not a bad deal ofc. However, most team riders I know can't make their living out of it, they are able to (often partly) cover the costs of their sport though. A lot of the big brands have national teams and rookie teams, they scout at popular spots, but usually they know the scene pretty well. Get know, get seen :).. doesn't have to be trough contest, just kick ass :D...

yeah, what he says. I sometimes ride small bits on the mountain sitting on my deck if I'm to lazy to strap in... the bindings sorta keep you in place :D.... I'll admit it's even a bit of fun, no matter what other people think of it XD. It gets better if you manage to overtake other boarders and skiers :P steering is a little tricky. I couldn't think of a reason to do it all day though >__>

Hey. I'm not sure if you already bought a snowboard and if you would even be interested in buying a 2nd hand board but in case you are, I'm selling my Ride Tokidoki Canvas with Burton Lexa bindings.
    It's a 153 board and it looks super awesome (at least I think it does :P). Both the board and the bindings show some use but it's still in good state. (pop is still good, base shows some wear from riding rails but generally the base is in really good state still, very fast, no big repairs)
    (I'm selling it because my riding preference demands a different kind of board)
    It is an all mountain freestyle setup but it shreds basically everything :D. (and if you make a small jump the snow glows pink under the board XD) If your interested i could send you the specs and pictures :). I don't know where you are located in Germany but I'll be in Hamburg next weekend and then probable live there in January, you could try maybe the board sometime if you live near there, which is always nice :P.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://snowboardermag.com/gear/hardgoods/ride/ride-canvas-lg.jpg]

and this is the binding:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/images/items/large/BUR/BUR2456/BK.jpg]

It's not really a beginners setup maybe because it's a high end board and binding, but its definitely a progressive set that will keep you going for a while :D.

Maybe its interesting :D, otherwise, Salomon and Signal make nice lower priced boards that are still really good. What Mario says is definitely true. I wouldn't pick anything longer than 1.55. but something around 1.52 would probable be best :D.

Ich suche:

[ ] Snowboard
    [ ] Snowboardbindung
    - [ ] normale Ratsche
    - [ ] Schnelleinstiegsysteme (Flow/Cinch/Expresso/Fastec)
    [ ] Snowboardboots (Wobei immer noch als Regel N°1 gilt: Im Laden anprobieren!!
    [ ] Sonstiges (Snowboardbrille, Snowboardhose, Snowboardjacke usw.)

Länge: 1.80

Gewicht: 60kg

Körpergröße:
    (isn't that the same as länge?)

Schuhgröße/Bootgrösse in Mondopoint: 40

Preislimit: I dont mind spending extra if the board is that what I'm looking for.

Fahrlevel:
    [ ] Anfänger (1 Tag bis 6 Tage Erfahrung auf dem Brett)
    [ ] leicht fortgeschritten (du kommst leichte/mittlere Pisten ohne Probleme runter)
    [ ] fortgeschritten (du kannst alle Pisten bewältigen)
    [x] Profi (Park/Rail/Jump-kein Problem)

Fahrstil/Einsatzgebiet-in Prozent
    [x] Piste [ ]%
    [x] Tiefschnee / Backcountry [ ]%
    [x] Park (Kicker/Pipe) []%
    [x] Rails [ ]%
    all of if, a lot of it.

I love my park-rocker but the base reacts so terrible with the bad indoor snow we have. It gets dirty and slow just after 2-4 hours of riding it, I need to wax it at least once ever 2 weeks (cause I go indoor twice a week at least, the snow at our place is really old and dirty)... I just don't have the time for that. The other board I own, is really nice when doing jumps or carves but it's not so much fun for flatland tricks and rails, which I found to enjoy a lot more. So I decide to sell my Ride Canvas (the other board) with a little pain in my heart.

I've been looking for what to buy in its stead for a while now. I need something with a soft flex, a lot of pop, twin, sintered and tough base, rockered or preferable with rocker and chamber technology and lightweight, it has to be stable enough to take it to small and medium jumps, pow, and handle well on higher speeds. So, in short, a soft but snappy fast all round/freestyle board.
    I came to the conclusion that the Neversummer Pandora 2011 is the board I want. Because it's insanely expensive I started saving and whatever I get for my Ride canvas goes into the NS Pandora fund to... but today I found that they only make the Pandora in 149 or smaller.....#@(*$*%^&&@&#$.fudge.

Like wtf.. I know all the features out of my head but I didn't look at the size haha.. I just assumed they would make it in at least 1.52.

I normally ride a 153 board or something close to that. The smallest I've ridden was a 150, which was fun enough indoor but I wonder if it would hold up on the mountain. I'm 1.80 cm and I weight about 60 kg... do you think I can ride a 149? Did anyone here ever bought a board that might seem to small at first but have a good experience with it?

Does anyone know any boards that might be a match for the Pandora? I looked into the gnu park pickle and the stepchild jibstick.. but I don't know about this magnatraction thing. I don't mind riding 'male' boards as long as they are soft enough. Any suggestions are appreciated :D.

(ps replying in German is just fine, I understand, just can't write it)

Hey, I'm not sure if you already bought a pair.
    I could recommend looking into the Ice tool's protectors. Especially the soft padded ones. They are affordable, stay in place just fine and they don't bother you to much with for instance pulling up your knee's for a grab. I find them more comfortable than hard padded knee protectors, and they do their job just fine. I fell down a wallride 3 times in a row (don't ask) landing with my knee's on the ice and it was pretty comfortable as far as crashing can be comfortable :P.

The only downside is that the velcro straps stick to the mesh on the inside of my snow pants a bit which might eventually rip the mesh one day. Also I had to round the rather sharp corners of the velcro with a pair of scissors to be completely comfortable but that was like 1 minute of work :)

Hope that helps.

Just curious, do you think girls excel or suck in certain tricks more than guys? I mean, I guess you could kick in the obvious 'tricks that require relatively much physical strength might be harder for us' door.... but I wonder if that's so, I mean, in my case, I just get a little softer and lighter board to compensate.

Also, I find that when I talk to other female boarders, we seem to learn tricks in a different way. Might be just me/them, but when someone explains a trick to me and I can't imagine how it feels to do that particular trick, I'm not able to do it, while guys seem to just go for it anyways I need to 'get' it before I can fully commit to doing something new. Sounds familiar? or am I just gibber jabbing...

To make it more of a general question, girls: prefer rails, flatland tricks or jumps? What's your favorite trick? Which one did you find hardest to learn?

Hey thx for the response. Sorry for my late reply, been terrible busy the last few weeks.

I think what your saying sort of confirms my suspicions about Wittenburg but I guess I'm going to visit both at least once.

Isn't a half-pipe supposed to be icy btw ;)

The Bispingen park sounds good though, sounds very much like the place where I'm riding right now. :D... Only 1 more month if all goes well and I'll be riding in Germany ^___^. Actually looking forward to it even though I really like Amsterdam, changes and meeting new people = fun.

Btw, we're searching really hard for an Apartment in Hamburg. I know this is a huge long shot but if anyone knows something that might be helpful I'd be very grateful.