Girls and Tricks

• Just curious, do you think girls excel or suck in certain tricks more than guys? I mean, I guess you could kick in the obvious 'tricks that require relatively much physical strength might be harder for us' door.... but I wonder if that's so, I mean, in my case, I just get a little softer and lighter board to compensate.

Also, I find that when I talk to other female boarders, we seem to learn tricks in a different way. Might be just me/them, but when someone explains a trick to me and I can't imagine how it feels to do that particular trick, I'm not able to do it, while guys seem to just go for it anyways I need to 'get' it before I can fully commit to doing something new. Sounds familiar? or am I just gibber jabbing...

To make it more of a general question, girls: prefer rails, flatland tricks or jumps? What's your favorite trick? Which one did you find hardest to learn?

I can understand German replies :)
    Selling: Ride Canvas Tokidoki 153 (wms) + Burton Lexa Bindings (L 38-41) PM if interested

• Girls don't do tricks? :P

Selling: Ride Canvas Tokidoki 153 (wms) + Burton Lexa Bindings (L 38-41) PM if interested

• hahah that's quite funny. I was already wondering exactly the same!
    I also think that boys just do tricks. I often realized that they don't seem to think about it as much as I do. Probably it's the typical girl's problem. We just think too much about anything ;)

For me, as a beginner, it's quite hard to learn tricks actually.. I always feel like I need to "analyze" the trick I'm going to try before I can do it. And sometimes the analyzing doesn't help to understand how to move my body parts and to take my fear away ;)

That's why I am not really advanced in doing tricks yet.. I do tailpress and little nosepress on flat ground (not on rails ;-), I am getting better and better in doing 180ies on flat ground.. But unfortunately I dont have the heart do to it over a kicker.. even not a small one (well, actually I'm working hard on it ;)
    And I'm trying some boardslides over butterboxes and rainbowboxes..

I can't say what kind of tricks I prefer. I'm both afraid of doing high air tricks, and also of rails smashing my face.

So what can I do?? drink some alcohol? cocain? more protection? ;-P hehe

• Haha, yeah that sounds very familiar. I usually just sit on the snow above the rail (or whatever I'm riding) for a while, just trying to visualize the trick I want to do in my head a few times, before I actually go for it.

I also practice in the living room as lame as it sounds, without my board, lets say I wanted to jump a boardslide on a box landing pressing on my back foot, and rotate the last 90 degrees on the box to switch out, that's a really nice trick to just practice at home :P. I'm working on jumping 180 out now, but I haven't managed to do that in combination with the press.

What often works for me, is to use logic to convince yourself. (I can do a press on the slope, I can do it on flat ground, so I should be able to do it on a box to) or to have a bunch of friends shouting, pff you can do that, go go! (then you'll just have to try :P)

I still don't do spins on bigger jumps either, just on small jumps. I think grabs are more comfortable to start out with on bigger jumps (big for me is 5-7 ish meter btw.. so that's still not very big :P). They help you stay compact and steady in the air, and force you to pull up your knee's high enough so you'll be more likely to make the landing.
    Extra protection might help with feeling confident I guess.

I wouldn't say drugs/alcohol is the best way of getting anything done haha. I once rode down the slope in the dark with a group carrying torches for light. This was after having quite a few beers..... definitely not a good idea! :P. I ended up riding my bf's board and he mine... His was a rental 1.67 Burton cruiser, it was hell (I thought it was the alcohol that made my board feel so weird)! haha. He couldn't get his bindings properly strapped because mine are way smaller. We only noticed we swapped boards when we finally arrived in the valley after a lot of cursing and fumbling.

To answer my own question, I prefer rails over big kickers (but small to medium ones are fun), I love fooling around with flatland tricks. Hardest to learn for me was the nose press on the rail/box, especially on down rails. I still can't get it right half of the time. With my extreme rocker shaped board I fear I'm going to press it to hard (happens quite easily) and smack my face on the rail/box. When I started freestyling, the difference between front side and backside gave me headache too :P

Do you ride indoor slopes as well?

On a side note: you don't have to reply in English for me. I starting to feel kinda guilty for all my English spam. I registered here because it was a German forum :D, I like German and I am trying to learn it so your really doing me a favor forcing me to read in German. I will switch to writing in German too as soon as I feel comfortable enough writing it :).

• Hahah du bist ja lustig! Ich hab mich so gefreut, endlich mal wieder mein Englisch ein wenig auffrischen zu können und jetzt soll ich lieber Deutsch schreiben ;) Aber gut, du hast Recht. Wir sind ein deutsches Forum und vielleicht fühlen sich viele andere Mädels der englischen Sprache auch nicht so mächtig, dass sie hier mitdiskutieren wollen solange wir auf Englisch reden. Ok nun also Deutsch von mir.

Ich denke auch oft stundenlang über einen Trick nach, wie ich ihn ausführen sollte, bevor ich mich traue. Ich habe sogar extra angefangen, 180ies im flat sowohl frontside als auch backside zu üben, obwohl eins von beiden (ich weiß grad nicht welches) überhaupt nicht meiner natürlichen Körperachse entspricht und es eine riesige Überwindung bedeutet. Allerdings sind die Kicker in Bispingen so dicht am Zaun gebaut, dass man den 180 nur in einer bestimmten Richtung springen kann. Und diese Richtung ist zufällig nicht meine Lieblingsrichtung. Also musste ich erstmal im Schnee "falschrum" springen üben um auf lange Sicht irgendwann mal den 180 übern Kicker zu schaffen ;)

Hahahha zum Üben im eigenen Wohnzimmer kann ich nur Folgendes sagen: *G*

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3048[/ATTACH]

Wie du sagst, den Tailpress müsste ich eigentlich auch auf der Box können. Aber mir macht die Neigung ja immer solche Sorgen. Wenn ich auf der Rainbowbox tailpresse, hab ich das Gefühl, ich falle Rückwärts wieder runter weil ich nicht genug Schwung habe. Wenn ich mehr Schwung nehme, fahre ich die Box oft nicht mehr sauber an, und es wird ein unbeholfener Boardslide, bei dem kaum mehr eine vernünftige Kontrolle möglich ist. Mit den Downrails tue ich mich auch noch schwer. Bin die letzen beiden Male eine für meine Vorstellung ziemlich hohe Kinked Box gefahren und war schon stolz, dass ich sie einige Male geschafft habe, ohne seitlich runterzufallen! Das mit den Railtricks kommt dann später bzw erstmal auf der harmlosen Butterbox anfangen *g*
    Man muss sich ja auch erstmal dran gewöhnen, dass diese Boxen so furchtbar rutschig sind und dass man mit dem sonst so gewohnten Notfall-move "verkanten" auf so einer Box erst richtig ins Schmerzdisaster schlittert ;)

Das frontside und backside Problem habe ich auch immer noch nicht so ganz begriffen. Jeder erklärt es auch anders und teils widersprüchlich.. Aber hauptsache ich lerne irgendwelche Tricks. Wie sie heißen, darum kümmer ich mich dann später *G*

Ich fahre eigentlich fast nur Indoor Pisten. Meine Parkheimat ist Bispingen. Einmal im Jahr ist ein 7tägiger Snowboardurlaub dran aber den Rest des Jahres bin ich als Hamburger auf die Skihallen angewiesen. Traurig aber immerhin ;)
    Für den Freestyle ist es aber glaube ich egal, ob ich die Tricks nun unter freiem Himmel mit Bergpanorama oder in der Halle lerne. Bestimmt ist es in der Halle sogar einfacher :)

So ihr restlichen Mädels, was ist mit euch? :D

• I actually preferred learning to properly ride switch, and then jump 180ies normally, because the take off is about as important or probable even more than the landing (because your takeoff influences your landing). I find approaching a kicker switch a lot harder. On the slope it doesn't matter to me much though. Basically, you shouldn't bother jumping 180ies if you can't ride switch, cause its going to happen one way or an other XD. I guess, it depends on what gives you more trouble, take off or landing.

Leen, fun times, probable will see you in Bispingen sometime in that case. I ride a lot indoors as well, nothing wrong with that :D

Oh btw Masl, I orderd some stuff from your friends webshop the other day, thx for the tip :)!

• also ich bin noch so sehr mit dem fahren beschäftigt, dass ich noch gar keine tricks ausprobiert habe.
    aber das letzte mal im snowdome bispingen hab ich einfach versucht auf der piste zu springen...waren zwar nur kleine hüpferchen, aber ich denke um ein gefühl für sprünge zu kriegen ist es nicht schlecht...vielleicht versuche ich das nächste mal im park einfach nurmal über die kleinen kicker rüber zu fahren.
    oder wie habt ihr denn so angefangen?

• It depends a bit on the shape of the kicker, but if has a table and or a friendly looking landing you can just ride over it, starting slowly and then build up speed when you get more comfortable with it.

Just some tips:
    Make sure the last part of your approach to the kicker is a straight line (especially when u ride up the ramp, go straight), with your board flat on the ground. Keep your upper body level with your board the whole time(your hands above your board). If you can, make yourself a little smaller when you ride up the ramp, and then pop a small ollie from the lip to gain extra height. Pull up your knee's in air and extend them a little bit again (little bit, no straight legs :P) to absorb the landing. Try to land on your whole board, not just the tail or nose.

If it's a little mean kicker with a gap you might want to ask someone to do a speed check, (you follow someone experienced with jumping closely but without actually taking the jump, once or twice, to get a feel for the right speed).

Some kickers really require a good ollie of the lip to make the landing. That's something you can practice really good on one of those little rollovers on the slope.

Hope that helps :D

• Danke für die Tipps,Muninn!
    Ich hoffe ich komme bald dazu sie auszuprobieren, aber wahrscheinlich komme ich erst wieder nach Weihnachten zum boarden *heul*

• Mein größeres Problem am 180 ist eigentlich immer die Landung. Den Absprung bekomme ich immer gut hin, egal ob ich normal oder switch fahre. Und ich muss mich noch daran gewöhnen, dass ich das Landing beim 180 nicht durchgehend sehen kann, sondern dem Landing naturgemäß für einen kurzen Moment den Rücken zukehren und es dann erneut wieder "finden" muss. Aber wahrscheinlich sollte ich es demnächst einfach mal machen und sehen wie sich das anfühlt. Dank neuer Protektoren kann der Aufprall ja dann auch nicht mehr soo schlimm werden *g*

Katta: ich habe genauso angefangen. Erst kleine Hüpfer auf der Piste, um das Gefühl zu bekommen, dann ganz langsam über die kleinen Minikicker im Park drübergefahren und später mit ein bisschen Pop aus den Knien drüber gehüpft. Tja und viel wesentlich weiter bin ich ja nun auch noch nicht ;)
    Ich bin zwar den ganz großen Kicker hinten im Park auch schonmal gefahren, allerdings bin ich zu klein und zu leicht als dass ich auf der flachen Piste soviel Speed (trotz Pushen) sammeln könnte, um ihn sauber zu überfliegen. Ich bin grundsätzlich mit einem lauten 'BÄÄM' auf dem Table gelandet, statt auf dem Landing. Manchmal sammelt sich auch hässlicher bremsender Pulverschnee vor dem großen Kicker und dann hab ich erstrecht keine Chance mit meinen 59kg ;)

Wenn nichts dazwischen kommt, werde ich Montag den 29. (also übermorgen) Nachmittag/Abend nach Bispingen fahren. Vielleicht sieht man sich ja?!

• Leen: tschuldigung, dass ich jetzt erst schreibe, hab so viel umme Ohren in letzter Zeit.
    Leider war ich am 29.11. nicht in Bispingen:( ich fahr in zwei Wochen wahrscheinlich in den Harz und versuche dort meine "Sprünge"( wenn man die überhaupt so nennen kann:)) zu verbessern. mal sehn wies klappt oder ob ich überhaupt noch fahren kann, weil ich schon so lange nicht mehr auf irgendner Piste war:/

• hahahar Ka!ser, du bist lustig! Wir sind Frauen - wir können nicht NICHT denken ;-)) nichtmal beim... nunja du weißt schon :D

Aber falls ich mal wieder auf dem Board stehen kann, versuche ichs! :)

• Thinking is heavily overrated anyways ;)

• We could take some meditation lessons :D

• Männer sind da eh lässiger. Die machen viele Dinge spontan und aus dem Bauch heraus ohne groß zu philosophieren. Eine Fähigkeit, die ich auch manchmal gern hätte ;)
    Schade, eigentlich hätte doch bei meinem Sturz auch gleich das Nachdenkzentrum kaputt gehen können *g*

• Darf man als das andere Geschlecht hier überhaupt reinschreiben ?
    Wenn nicht, dann dürft ihr mich gern als perversling beleidigen und des Forums hier verbannen.

Mein Tipp an jeden von euch. NICHT drübernachdenken. Das wird sonst nichts. Nimm dir auf der Anfahrt den Trick vor und mach ihn einfach... Kannst ja erstmal in Tiefschnee üben.

Bin auch Weiblich..denke nie über den trick nach,wenn zu viel denke wird das bei mir nie was.mit ein schönen sprung.
    Ohne denken läufst besser.

Wenn es Schnee &Zeit zulässt :
    Allgäu shredd ,per Bus oder mit Buddies aus ger Region gerne.